The Group made the commitment to create employment opportunities in the South region, protect the environment with innovative measures, as well as facilitate a secured access to the nearby public beach and improve its existing infrastructures. This will truly be a unique hotel project.
- The hotel project of the Currimjee Group is the first and unique hotel to respect a setback zone of 100 metres, that is it is going to the only hotel of Mauritius to be constructed 100 metres away from the shore, against 30 metres for the other existing hotels.
- The hotel will not be constructed in front of the conservation zone, the most vulnerable zone of the marine park.
- The hotel will be equipped with an efficient system of wastewater treatment, guaranteeing the quality of the water.
- The water purification system will treat the wastewater of the public toilets of the beach and that of the National Coast Guard, which was until now discharged in the sea and affected negatively the marine park.
- The Group has forbidden the practice of motorised nautical sports.
The platform Moris Lenvironeman, composed of 15 NGOs, has sought out the opinion of scientists who concluded that the project would have an insignificant impact on the marine park.
To the contrary, on the area where the dunes have not been destroyed, the Group has taken the decision to not build anything.
Moreover, in order to preserve the existing dune, the Group is working in collaboration with its ecological and geological adviser, Pierre Baissac, on a restoration plan that aims at planting more than 16,000 endemic plants of which 10,000 trees to create a coastal forest.
All the required permits have been obtained for the construction of the public road.
The Group has anticipated, from the beginning, all questions relating to environmental stakes and has sought the help of experts specialised in all fields (the dunes, archaeology, marine environment, biodiversity).
The Group has undertaken a series of measures, some that have never been heard of in Mauritius, concerning the protection of the environment and its heritage, and it is one of the reasons why it has obtained these permits following its EIA.
The Group has fulfilled all their obligations and will continue to respect their commitments during and after the construction.
These commitments are at the heart of the Group’s values.s